February 13, 2012

On What Grounds by Cleo Coyle (Coffeehouse Mystery #1)


  • Mass Market Paperback: 288 pages
  • Publisher: Berkley
  • ISBN-13: 978-0425192139 
With a sprawling rent-free apartment directly above The Village Blend, her cat Java by her side, and plenty of coffeehouse redecorating ideas, Clair is thrilled to return to work.  Until she discovers the assistant manager unconscious in the back of the store, coffee grounds strewn everywhere.  Police arrive on the scene to investigate. But when they find no sign of forced entry or foul play, they deem it an accident. Case closed. But Clare is not convinced. And after the police leave, there are a few things she just can't get out of her mind... Why was the trash bin in the wrong place? If this wasn't an accident, is Clare in danger? And... are all detectives this handsome? - Taken from the back of the book.

Even though I am not a coffee drinker I enjoyed this mystery. I liked how Clare gave us some history on coffee and when she would make a drink she would tell how it is made. I just thought that part was interesting. The mystery started from day one but you only had one person you suspected but in the end you will get quite the surprise as Clare and Mattaeo (Matt) work together to solve they mystery behind Annabelle death. I liked how Clare and Matt acted with each other and even though Clare kind of has the "hots" for Quinn I would like to see Clare give Matt another chance. I guess I will have to continue the series to see how her love life plays out. All in a a good read. 4 stars.

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I havent read this book from the series yet..but it sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete