September 2, 2020

The Wisdom of the Native Americans Edited By Kent Nerburn - Review


Book details
Hardcover : 216 pages
ISBN-10 : 1577310799
ISBN-13 : 978-1577310792
Publisher : New World Library; 1st Edition (March 3, 1999)

Book description
These thought-provoking teachings from respected Native American leaders and thinkers provide a connection with the land, the environment, and the simple beauties of life. This collection of writings from revered Native Americans offers timeless, meaningful lessons on living and learning.

Meet the Edited by Kent Nerburn
My work has been a constant search, from various perspectives, for an authentic American spirituality, integrating our western Judeo-Christian tradition with the other traditions of the world, and especially the indigenous spirituality of the people who first inhabited this continent. Someone once called me a “guerilla theologian,” and I think that is fairly accurate.

I am deeply concerned with the human condition and our responsibility to the earth, the people on it, and the generations to come. I believe that we are, at heart, spiritual beings seeking spiritual meaning, and I try to honor this search in my work and my daily life.

If there is a quote I live by, it is the entreaty of the Lakota Chief, Sitting Bull, who said to the U.S. government that was trying to eradicate his people, "Come, let us put our minds together to see what kind of life we can create for our children."

Much more about me and my work can be found at my website, www.kentnerburn.com.

My thoughts
I have always been intrigued by the Native Americans. I think that comes from growing up in Nebraska and learning their history. I enjoyed this book as it not only has wisdom that has been handed down generation to generation but at the end it has some speeches by some elders which I found interesting to read.  I will keep this book in my collection and read it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment