May 24, 2015

Wild by Cheryl Strayed


Wild by Cheryl Strayed
ISBN: 9780101873441
Trade Paperback

Synopsis:
At twenty-two, Cheryl Strayed thought she had lost everything. In the wake of her mother’s death, her family scattered and her own marriage was soon destroyed. Four years later, with nothing more to lose, she made the most impulsive decision of her life. With no experience or training, driven only by blind will, she would hike more than a thousand miles of the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Desert through California and Oregon to Washington State — and she would do it alone.

Told with suspense and style, sparkling with warmth and humor, Wild powerfully captures the terrors and pleasures of one young woman forging ahead against all odds on a journey that maddened, strengthened, and ultimately healed her.

Review:
I have to say I was a little disappointed in this book. I really wanted to like it more than I did. The idea of setting off on a trail by yourself and hearing the experiences of this trip is what drew me to pick up this book.  What I did not like about this book was that it felt kind of depressing and dark.  From reading this book I know the author had a rough like up until this point in her life and understand why she took this trip so I guess that is why she took the route she did in writing this. Cheryl was a very strong person as I know I myself could not have done this trip at all. I can not imagine all that she went through - pain, loneliness, anger, fear etc. I was happy to read that she made it all the way to the end like she wanted to and that she is living a happy life now.  I don't want to say it was a bad book but rather just not the book for me. I did push through and make it all the way to the end and am glad I did. 

1 comment:

  1. I didn't read the book, but I did see the film. I loved it. I think Reese Witherspoon deserved an Oscar for her performance. Sorry you did not like the story, but it was epic in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete