September 7, 2015

The Seakeeper's Daughter by Lisa Wingate - Spotlight and Review


Published: September 8, 2015
Number of pages: 448
Genre: Fiction
Series: Carolina Heirlooms #3

Synopsis:
From modern-day Roanoke Island to the sweeping backdrop of North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains and Roosevelt’s WPA folklore writers, past and present intertwine to create an unexpected destiny.

Restaurant owner Whitney Monroe is desperate to save her business from a hostile takeover. The inheritance of a decaying Gilded Age hotel on North Carolina’s Outer Banks may provide just the ray of hope she needs. But things at the Excelsior are more complicated than they seem. Whitney’s estranged stepfather is entrenched on the third floor, and the downstairs tenants are determined to save the historic building. Searching through years of stored family heirlooms may be Whitney’s only hope of quick cash, but will the discovery of an old necklace and a Depression-era love story change everything?

What did I think about the the story?
All I can say is WOW. Ok I can say more than that. I loved this book. I am so happy I got picked to again be a part of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Book (more about this later) so I could read this book before it is published. Lisa has a way of drawing you right into the book and not letting you go. The characters just pull at you and you can't wait to find out more about them. I could not put this down because I wanted to see what was going to happen next. The only thing that I have to say is bad about this book is that I did not it to end. I wanted more. Without spoiling the story I felt as if just when one mystery is solved the book ends and you want to know what happens next in the characters life. By the end of this book you felt as if the characters are a part of your family. You do not have to read the books in order but I would recommend that you do. All three books are great and you will get to see a little bit of the former characters in this book.

Carolina Heirloom Series
#1 The Prayer Box

What I thought of the book:
I can not say enough good things about this book. In all the books I have read in my life I can't say that one has touched me as much as this one. There was something about this book and the story that just pulls you in. Not only is this book have a great story but there is a message behind the story. To me that message was to stop and think about life and remember to be grateful for what you have. I found myself wanting to know more about Tandi's past and learning more about Iola. You find yourself wanting to help Tandi make things better and hoping she finds happiness. Not only does Tandi grow in this book but so does her daughter Zoey, it is hard for them to learn to live a good life after what they have been through. When Tandi's sister Gina shows up I want to throw her out immediately, I did not care for her or Tandi's boyfriend Ross. When Tandi ends up at Sandy's Seashell Shop there may just be a light at the end of the tunnel for her. I enjoyed reading about the sisterhood of the seashell shop. I am starting the next book in this series tonight and can't wait to see what happens next.

#2 The Story Keeper

What I thought about this book:
This book was every bit as good as the first book that I read by her (The Prayer Box). The fact that there was a story within a story in this book is an added bonus in my opinion. Jen is such a strong character in this book, she new she needed to leave home at a young age to get away from her past but with the drop of manuscript on her desk she finds the past is not as far away as it seemed. I enjoyed meeting some other characters along the way like sweet Hannanh - I found myself feeling sorry for her and Evan - who is not who he seems at the beginning. I did not care for Jen's dad or sister Mirah as they just did not seem nice to me but then again it is a whole different world where they live and how they choose to survive. There is a mystery in this book and some twists that kept me turning the pages long into the night. I must admit that I read a little over half of this book in one day and I don't do that often. I give this book 5 stars and would recommend it to everyone.


1 comment:

  1. What a sweet review! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing these journeys with me!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete