December 21, 2017

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell - Revoew


Book details
Paperback: 208 pages
Publisher: The Overlook Press; 1 edition (July 26, 2016)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1468308939
ISBN-13: 978-1468308938

Book description
This irresistible collection is proof positive that booksellers everywhere are heroes

A simple Twitter question posed by John Cleese―“What is your biggest pet peeve?”―inspired Jen Campbell to start a blog collecting all the ridiculous conversations overheard in her bookstore.
“Did Beatrix Potter ever write a book about dinosaurs?”
“Did Charles Dickens ever write anything fun?”
“I’ve forgotten my glasses, can you read me the first chapter?”
“Excuse me . . . is this book edible?”

Filled with fun and quirky illustrations by the award-winning Brothers McLeod and featuring contributions from booksellers across the United States and Canada, as well as the author’s native UK, Weird Things Customers Say in Bookstores is a celebration of bookstores, large and small, and of the brilliant booksellers who toil in those literary fields, as well as the myriad of colorful characters that walk through the doors everyday.

60 b&w illustrations

Meet the author - Jen Campbell
Jen Campbell is the author of the Sunday Times bestselling 'Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops' series, the first of which was published in 2012. Its sequel, 'More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops', was released in 2013. 'Weird Things...' is available in ten languages, and was a finalist in the Goodreads Choice Awards

Her new non-fiction book 'The Bookshop Book' is the official book of the Books Are My Bag campaign.

Jen is also an award-winning poet and short story writer. Her poetry pamphlet 'The Hungry Ghost Festival' is published by The Rialto, and she is currently writing a short story collection.

Jen grew up in a small village by the sea in the north-east of England. After studying English Literature at Edinburgh University, she moved to north London to sell books and write stories. She works part-time at an antiquarian bookshop and runs a Booktube channel at www.youtube.com/jenvcampbell.

She is represented by Charlie Campbell at Kingsford Campbell.

My thoughts
This was a funny book that made me laugh out loud, which by the way I do not normally do. I was able to read this book in one day it was so good and easy to read. I just can't imagine all the dumb things or weird things that people say to booksellers - oh but wait yes I can. Some of my favorites were I loved the "Diary of Anne Frank" did she write a sequel? Where is your true fiction section? This "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter" book is the more historically accurate fiction book I have read. There were many more like Are ebooks paperback or hardback? Are books edible? This book was well worth the time I took to read and made my day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment