July 13, 2015

Claws of the Cat by Susan Spann


Published: July 16, 2013
Number of pages: 288
Genre: Mystery
Series: Shinobi Mystery

Synopsis:
When a samurai is brutally murdered in a Kyoto teahouse, master ninja Hiro Hattori has just three days to find the killer before the dead man’s vengeful son kills both the beautiful geisha accused of the crime and Father Mateo, the Jesuit priest that Hiro has pledged his own life to protect. The investigation plunges Hiro and Father Mateo into the dangerous waters of Kyoto’s floating world, where they quickly learn that everyone from an elusive teahouse owner to the dead man’s dishonored brother has a motive to keep the samurai’s death a mystery.

What did I think of the book
I have not read very many books set in Japan so this was a new territory for me. I liked the fact that it was a historical mystery. The author did a good job in the history aspect of this book. I think that part was very interesting. I felt like I learned a little as I read the story. The characters were very well developed and easy to connect with. A good mystery to me is one that keeps you guessing up to the end and has enough twists to keep you engaged in the story. For me this book did all of that. This is the first book that I have read by this author and I look forward to the rest of the series. 

What did I think of the cover
I thought the cover was nice but I wish it would have been a little lighter or had more color on it. 

My rating
4 stars

Shinobi Mystery Series
#1 Claws of the Cat
#2 Blade of the Samurai
#3 Flask of the Drunken Monkey

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! Thanks for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete