November 11, 2014

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin


The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
ISBN: 97800615833261
Trade Paperback

Synopsis: Gretchen Rubin had an epiphany one rainy afternoon in the unlikeliest of places: a city bus. "The days are long, but the years are short," she realized. "Time is passing, and I'm not focusing enough on the things that really matter." In that moment, she decided to dedicate a year to her happiness project.
In this lively and compelling account, Rubin chronicles her adventures during the twelve months she spent test-driving the wisdom of the ages, current scientific research, and lessons from popular culture about how to be happier. Among other things, she found that novelty and challenge are powerful sources of happiness; that money can help buy happiness, when spent wisely; that outer order contributes to inner calm; and that the very smallest of changes can make the biggest difference.

My review: I started reading this book at the beginning of the year as I thought it would be fun to see what the Happiness Project was all about. The chapters of this book are broke down by months so you can do as I did and read one a month or read it all at once. I have to say that I enjoyed Gretchen's approach to how to find happiness. Each month she tells you what she used for her project. She goes into detail about each step and even shares some of the responses she has received on her blog regarding this. I have made a list of what she used and have tried some of them. She encourages you to make and start your own happiness project and do what makes you happy. There are some really good tips, quotes and references in this book that will help you with your own endeavor. You can also sign up for her newsletter and visit her blog for more tips by visiting her website  Gretchen Rubin's Blog (click here) I plan on next reading her book Happier at Home and am looking forward to her new book Better than Before as well. The way she writes the book just flows and reads very quickly. This is a book I am going read more than once so I can get the most out of it. I recommend this book to everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment