December 8, 2018

Crazy Horse: The Lakota Warrior's Life & Legacy as told to William B. Matson - Review


Book details
Hardcover: 256 pages
Publisher: Gibbs Smith; 1st Edition edition (September 6, 2016)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 9781423641230
ISBN-13: 978-1423641230

Book description
The Edward Clown family, nearest living relatives to the Lakota war leader, presents the family tales and memories told to them about their famous grandfather. In many ways the oral history differs from what has become the standard and widely accepted biography of Crazy Horse. The family clarifies the inaccuracies and shares their story about the past, including what it means to them to be Lakota, the family genealogy, the life of Crazy Horse and his motivations, his death, and why they chose to keep quiet with their knowledge for so long before finally deciding to tell the truth as they know it.

This book is a compelling addition to the body of works about Crazy Horse and the complicated and often conflicting events of that time period in American History.

Floyd Clown, Doug War Eagle, and Don Red Thunder are the sole administrators and spokesmen of the Crazy Horse estate and often speak at historical gatherings and national parks about their family’s history.

William Matson has produced and directed an award-winning video, Sitting Bull’s Voice, as well as the two-part video series, The Authorized Biography of Sitting Bull by His Great-Grandson, and the four-part video series, The Authorized Biography of Crazy Horse and His Family. He regularly speaks about these videos and their content at film festivals and has been working with the Crazy Horse family since 2001 to tell their story.

Meet the author
William Matson has produced and directed an award-winning video, Sitting Bull’s Voice, as well as the two-part video series, The Authorized Biography of Sitting Bull by His Great-Grandson, and the four-part video series, The Authorized Biography of Crazy Horse and His Family. He regularly speaks about these videos and their content at film festivals and has been working with the Crazy Horse family since 2001 to tell their story.

My thoughts
I will not be able to say enough good things about this book. When you read this book it is not like reading a book it is more like you are listening to the family telling your their story. I felt as if I could really hear them. The more I read this book the more angry I got as there were a lot of bad things done by our country to Crazy Horse and his family. It was all hateful and very unnecessary. I am very happy that I read this book and hope everyone takes the time to read it. Today I go the chance to meet Floyd Clown and William Matson. They came to my town and gave a lecture, which was very informative and interesting. When the lecture was over I got the chance to talk to both of them and found out that Floyd Clown is also a grandson of War Eagle who was a big name where I am from. My only wish was that I could have had more time to visit with them. I would love to hear more stories about Floyd and Crazy Horse's family. One of the best books I have read this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment